6 replies [Last post]
GenStarX220

**comments most certainly are welcomed**

I am going to start out my blog by copying and pasting my post from the Introductions thread, (it is VERY long) and if you don't want to read the whole backstory, you can skip that part and start from the more recent section toward the middle/bottom of the page... here goes:

**::Back Story::**
I have never been what is considered "skinny" but for most of my life was what was just considered "chunky". In high school I was alternated anywhere between a US size 14-18, but I have always carried my weight pretty proportionately and was fairly athletic (played tennis, softball, went for evening runs quite frequently). Around the time I was 18 or so, I started to gradually put on more and more weight, even though I was just as active, and tried various diets (low cal, low fat, low carb, etc). Over the course of about 2 years, I had put on a total of 80lbs and on a daily basis was feeling very sick. It would not matter how small or large of a meal, or how light or heavy of a meal I would eat, I would usually end up in the restroom having to vomit within about an hour after eating. I went to various doctors for about 4 years who could not figure out what the problem was. My periods also started to be very erratic: sometimes I would have 2 of them a month, sometimes none for a few months, and whenever I would have them they would be EXTREMELY heavy (TMI coming up) I would usually have to use both a tampon AS WELL AS an overnight maxi pad, that I would still have to change every few hours, and needless to say, making through a workday was sometimes a little bit tough.

About 3 years ago, I found an OB/GYN that told me I had menorrhaghia and prescribed me BC pills to try and regulate my hormones and my cycles. Within about 3 weeks of taking that pill, I began bleeding so heavily that my husband (at the time my boyfriend) had to take me to the Women's ER about an hour away. While there, they told me to stop taking that BC pill immediately, to which I told them I had already stopped taking the day before this incident due to issues w/ increased nausea... and they told me that I did have a slight hemorrhage occurring. I was taken back that moment for a sonogram and a biopsy of my uterus. I was in tears, as my boyfriend sat there holding my hand, and I was manually dilated to 8cm (keep in mind that I have NEVER had a child) so that the doctor could properly do the biopsy. I was scheduled a follow-up with another doctor, who could not see me for about another 2 months after that, which is when I was told that I had PCOS and uterine fibroids. I was told that the cysts and fibroids were so bad, that I should consider a hysterectomy to correct the problem, and was prescribed a different BC formula. I was on that BC for about 2 years, and about a year in when I tried to call back to see if I needed to do a follow-up, I was given a horrible dose of attitude from the nurses and found myself a new OB-GYN.

The new OB/GYN took the time to do another sonogram and an ultrasound, as well as blood tests, and after coming back in the room, first told me that she was the same doctor that did my biopsy 2 years before, and then took the time (that the previous OB/GYN did not) to sit down and actually go into detail about the size of my cysts and fibroids, how many there were, and then told me that they were nowhere NEAR as serious as the previous doctor made them out to be (who, btw, never gave me any follow up sonograms, ultrasounds, etc. only the general "check-up"). The new doc also sat down with me to talk to me about insulin resistance and the importance of watching my carbs... good news was, that my gastroenterologist had already found I had a heightened sensitivity to carbs and glutens so I was already watching these things in my diet.

**::As of Late::**

So about 6 months or so ago, I went to see my OB/GYN to tell her that my husband and I were ready to start planning a family. She was excited to help us (she is the sweetest doctor I have EVER had) and she told me to go ahead and stop taking my BC pill if I hadn't already, advised me to start taking prenatal vitamins, and also high-fived me for losing 15 lbs in a 2 month period since she had seen me last.

She advised me to watch my cycles for a couple months to see if they were regular or not, and if they were, to start using OPK's to check for my ovulation.

The first two months my cycles were EXTREMELY regular. About 29 days apart and 5 days long each time. So I sought out a box of OPKs and started researching how to use them (I had never looked at this stuff before due to all the irregularity with my cycles, and the fact that I wanted to wait until I was married to even CONTEMPLATE children). I started using the OPKs around CD 10 that month because I had no idea about luteal phases (which I still do not really know what mine is, we'll get to that). It has been about 4 months, and 4 boxes of OPKs later, and I have NEVER gotten a positive on any of these stupid sticks!!! I've tried both the mid-stream type as well as the dip strips. The most I have gotten is a couple of VERY VERY faint lines. I have tried to do the BBT charting, but with working full-time, going to school full-time and working an overnight shift, my husband and I have erratic sleep hours and it is sometimes tough.

Needless to say, here I am again this month... trying the OPKs again. I started them on CD11 and am currently on CD15 and so far have seen one very very faint line (the night before last) and nothing else tonight. I have been taking them twice a day when able to (again, I work evening into early morning, so my times are not the same as everyone else's) and I take one using FMU (between 3-4pm) each day and one around what would be "10pm" for regular folks (which is really about 4-6am for hubs and I). I am running low on them, and the ones I have cannot be used after 10/4 anyway, so I am hoping that I get my new batch before that. I have been buying the store-bough Answer brand dip strips, but this time I ordered the ones off of early-pregnancy-tests.com to see if I get any different types of results. If I do not get any positive OPK's this month, I am thinking that it may be time to go back and see my sweetheart of an OB/GYN and let her know and see what is up.

It is just so tough when all of my friends are either pregnant or just had a baby. No, literally. I have 3 friends that are pregnant, 6 that had babies within the past 6 months (one of them had twins), and I know two women who actually had the nerve to tell me that they had abortions. Seriously? They're telling this to a woman who wants nothing more than to be "with child" and they just threw a life away like that? It is just so heart-wrenching. It always seems that the ones that either don't want a baby, or weren't really trying for a pregnancy, it just comes so easily and effortlessly, accidentally even... and then so many of us who want a baby so badly, have to pretty much enroll in a reproductive anatomy/endocrinology course and do all of this studying/charting (what essentially feels like homework) in order to get even the slightest bit of hope.

**:: Most Recent ::**
As of this past month, I still have not had one positive OPK and am now concerned that I am not ovulating at all. I have had other signs of ovulation, like a temp dip about a week or so ago, and I had a few days of EWCM after a few days of each other type like clockwork from the time AF left. Now I have had EWCM for approx 2 weeks, I'm thinking this isn't normal, is it? Tonight I still had EWCM as well as a tiny bit of spotting like AF is on her way again, yet she is not due for another 4 days, and I am going to call my OB/GYN in the morning to schedule a follow-up to get some tests done and see if I need to start contemplating clomid or any other meds. I really thought that I would not have to resort to this as I have been trying so hard to lose weight, and to control my carbs (because of the insulin sensitivity caused by PCOS). I don't know what else to do now, and I just feel so negative this week. I am not getting any younger, and as all of my friends around me are getting ready to pop, it just makes me feel that much more blue and depressed.

thanks for reading.

--Gen

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

AlishaTrying

Hey Gen!!

Wow, crazy story you have so far! I just wanted to maybe ease your mind a bit about those opk tests. I also took them when I was ttc and I NEVER once got a positive reading, the month I actually conceived I was sure that I didn't ovulate (which I obviously did Wink )

Now I have a 1 year old and I took an opk the other day cause I heard you can use it as a pregnancy test and my af was super late and I didn't have a pregnancy test, so I took one and it came up very positive when I wasn't even ovulating or pregnant......so take those tests with a grain of salt!!!

Also, have you tried taking them either later or earlier in your cycle? Maybe you have a wonky o time and you're missing it?

Just my 2 cents! I look forward to hearing more about your ttc journey!!

baby dust!
-A

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

mandy
mandy's picture

Hey Gen, I second what Alisha said. When I was trying for DD I only got one positive in 6 moths of testing. Now I am getting them more frequently as I finally figured out that I ovulate a lot later in my cycle and I have to do 2 tests a day to catch the surge. Hopefully you will figure out your body's patterns soon and that will make things a bit easier for you. Good luck and baby dust!

Pregnancy%20tickerMake a pregnancy ticker

GenStarX220

Thanks ladies. Yes, I normally start to take them the day after my period stops, all the way up until about CD26-28. :/ Also, I work nights, so I normally wake up around 3-4pm, and I have tried taking them around 8-11pm and again around like 3-5am (when I go to bed at around 7am usually) so I've tried different times of day. Yeah, I was thinking maybe I ovulate, but maybe I don't produce enough LH for it to be detected? I've gotten faint lines a few days out of the month, and I just started BBT charting this past month... I haven't charted in a few days because of a hectic off-beat schedule these past couple days... but AF just showed up about 2 hours ago, so I'm going to start charting again tomorrow when I get up. I am also going to still schedule an appt with my OB/GYN just to consult with her... she's a great lady and she's always genuinely concerned and proactive. I'm hoping the charting will tell me something new to share with her, but at the same time, when I work a minimum of 40 hours a week AND have a full-time school schedule on top of that... its sometimes easy to forget to do it. But I am seriously trying to make it a regular thing.

Thanks for the advice about the OPK's. I am always open to it, and thanks for the reassurance that they're not accurate for everyone. That's also part of the reason why I haven't been able to justify investing over $100 into a fertility monitor.

Laughing out loud Thanks for the positivity. Helped a lot!!!

GenStarX220

AF was not technically due until 10/20, but she showed up about 2 hours ago (started spotting very very lightly approx 24 hours ago). Going to call my OB/GYN tomorrow when I leave the chiropractor, to schedule an appt after AF leaves to see about a check-up.

Also, the chiropractor today told me that my pelvis is a little bit twisted, and (beware of TMI) I'm wondering if this could maybe have a small relation to all of my issues the past few years which cause some discomfort while trying to BD (doc says that my PCOS is not bad enough to be the cause of the pain/discomfort during that).

This month, I am just going to have to push through the discomfort (if the chiropractic adjustment doesn't fix it) and make sure we try to BD much more than we have been. Sometimes, when you experience discomfort during that, it makes it a little more like a chore, and something you don't necessarily want to do as often. :<

Here's hoping... fingers and toes crossed. Laughing out loud

AlishaTrying

Drink some wine, that might make bding easier lol Wink
Another thing I was thinking is maybe you ovulate really late in your cycle or something? I'm pretty sure I conceived during a random bd session when I wasn't even trying because it was way past when I thought I ovulated.....just a thought It will be nice to get some insight from your doctor!! I can't believe you work full time and take school full time, good for you!! What are you taking?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

davina

fx crossed for you genX. i hope you get that bfp soon. i understand it is hard to get pregnant. i have endometriosis and get ovarian cysts reglarly causing severe pain(during sex too) as well as miscarries(we also found i dont make progesterone early in pregnancy).

as far as opk strips, i used them as well as bbt charting. for me bbt charting was much more accurate than the opk strips. it was always hard to tell what a positive was (bcuz the line is supposed to be darker). my lines were rarely darker than the control line. i also noticed that my best shot at getting accurate results on the opk was the test after 10am. you body doesnt make LH until after 9 or 10am. so i would test later and compare strips then combine that with the bbt charting.

i have heard great things about the digital opk tests. no guesswork. i think clearblue easy makes it.

Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers